I'll WAKE EARLIER TOMORROW - By Ogunyomi Israel Abidemi



Just as dull boughs of evolution
Gently unfold, stretching out
Wide arms across the span of a city,
To turn tough seats of stubborn
Status quo around,
Making them sumptuous on the
Tongue of transmogrification,

I wake into the marrow of this brave dawn,
Breath of the night still stuffs my lung.
But a thought of an early mole
Shunning the comfort of his warm abyss
To embrace the wetness of sleepy grasses
Sanctified in the purity of night dews,
Harasses my drowsy skull.

The sun has usurped this day already.
Defeated, I'll mellow, releasing
Today to the sun in all good faith,
And reconnect the broken stream
Of flowing dreams, which the palms
Of the night stamped on my heavy brows,
I'll leave the mighty sun to reign supreme
On the glorious throne of Today.

But I'll wake earlier than the mole tomorrow,
Beating the sprout of the rising sun.
I'll wake earlier than the sun,
Unfolding the resplendent petals of red roses;
I'll wake earlier than the sun,
Ripening red grapes and yellow lemons;
I'll wake earlier than the sun,
Sweetening stems of sugarcanes
And succulent fleshes of pineapples.

I'll be the first sun tomorrow
On the taskbar of the sky;
I'll wake earlier than the earliest mole
In the tracks of wet grasses.
I'll be the first sun tomorrow
On the taskbar of the sky;
I'll leap gallantly out of the
Broken shells of the night,
Etching awesome aesthetics
Of my stunning September
On the fragile foolscap of my own day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A REVIEW OF DENJA ABDULLAH’S PLAY DEATH AND THE KING’S GREY HAIR - By Olaniyi Abdulwaheed

The origin of African Drama and Theatre with Salient Elements from Selected Plays by Olaniyi Abdulwaheed

NIGERIAN YOUTHS FROWN AGAINST JUNGLE JUSTICE