POETS ARE POOR - By John Chizoba Vincent

Omawumi birthed venom yesterday,
She won’t marry me again because
I am a poet, she said poets are poor;
Is my pen not worthy to buy her make up?
If poetry gives no money, I will still be one.


When the arrow of folly is carved,
Wisdom, backs off, to the galaxy of stars.
Poetry can’t be broken easily like sticks,
Poets live beyond the rivers of warlords,
Poverty is not in the vein of  poets’ lexicon.


Mother sent me out of the house
‘Cause I told her I want to be a poet,
She cursed my generation to come,
Then wrote a note to my future,  never
To favour me in my desperate journey.


When the eyes of stupidity is begotten,
When the mouth stands taller than the nose,
When the scent of a madman becomes pleasant,
Check the nose that picks the aroma well
Poets are the million airplanes in the sky.


“Poets are poor” my teacher screamed at me.
“Can’t you be a doctor or lawyer than a poet?
You will sing without song in your mouth soon,
There won’t be bread on your table to eat
And you will measure yam before you eat it”



Let the perception of a saint be kept,
Musical artistes are not idols to worship,
I can also be praised in my own corner.
Please your eyes with your sinful thought,
Poets are the lust in the eyes of the saints.


“How many houses does Wole Soyinka have?
How much did Chinua Achebe had?
You will just die and perish without worth,
Nothing but a bitter tears and sorrowful blood”
My sister barked at me this morning!


It is not my tale to tell of a house and money!
Not my business to know those in their covens,
All fingers are not the same as all men are not.
My tomorrow have been written favourably,
I only water it through the ideas of the gods.


“Go get a life, poets are sick with words!
Poets are poor! Poetry is no treasure to keep,
Go and join Ekene in his business at Onitsha
That would keep bread on your table not poetry”
Father buttered my ears last breeding night.


What is my business with business?
Poetry will keep food on my table soon,
Poor poets are not my cup of tea to drink,
Everyone have a different mindset and vision.
Soon, poetry will be commercial and we earn
Much more than Dangote and Mike Adenuga.


(C) John Chizoba Vincent
From_A_Pen_Refusing_Frustration


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A REVIEW OF DENJA ABDULLAH’S PLAY DEATH AND THE KING’S GREY HAIR - By Olaniyi Abdulwaheed

The origin of African Drama and Theatre with Salient Elements from Selected Plays by Olaniyi Abdulwaheed

A CRITICAL REVIEW OF A PLAY TITLED “ARMattan of VENOM” BY OLANIYI ABDULWAHEED