LOVE AND SLAVERY – BY Gbadé Olúmúrewá


You've turned me into a slave
In the castle (of your love), 
And you feed me with nought, 
As I suffer hunger (even beyond the marrow) 

Love with pretence, 
Slavery with gladness! 

Is this love uncircumcised? 
If it's YES! I am to be in this captivity forever, 
Just dash me a remnant from your table side, 
I swear!  A simple touch shall do a perfect healing. 

You choose the modern gangsters over me, 
You shout my name with 
Your semi-civilised lips°that :
              I'm barbaric, 
              I'm crude! 

Your proofs are wanting... 
''You don't tiptoe and bend while you walk, 
You have no tattoos, 
You don't treat your face, 
Your hair is hard and never deflowered, 
Not even a punk as hairstyle, 
And your trousers are not 'pencil-shaped'. 

Then, shall I embrace all these 
All because of this 'compatibility'? 
The simplicity of ME that you condemn 
Is even still complex if you need to know 
                      .................. 
*****************************************
As I wish I could move
Permanently to my long desired home -  Àjùbà, 
I could be on 'Àdììre' at all times, 
I could take you with me
To the shepherd's planet, 
             Where all greens live unharmed 
             But certainly, where you hate! 

If we shall separate here, 
You as a Queen and I, as a slave ( to love), 
I shall humbly be a servant forever, 
Until you outlive that self made beauty, 
And later come to a course of maintaining 
Your original colour - An African Sepia! 

        But, never forget : I might be  unavailable by then!!!

© Gbadé Olúmúrewá.

  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is the English Language a Curse or Blessing to Nigeria? by Olaniyi Abdulwaheed

The origin of African Drama and Theatre with Salient Elements from Selected Plays by Olaniyi Abdulwaheed

A CRITICAL REVIEW OF A PLAY TITLED “ARMattan of VENOM” BY OLANIYI ABDULWAHEED