"Earning a Dying" - by Ojuade Lukman

‘Whenceafter’, I wrote to the whole world,
at last I secured a nine to five.
Sir Paul, consider my case and
tell heavens to redefine dignity of labour,
Look at, my lord is in sight
and I must thrill this whole hector.
yes, before his arrival.
Lest he drive me out of his site.
My lord takes pride in being my debtor.
He gracefully withholds my monthly reward.
He became an earthly rainmaker.
Pours on me my pay only when I'm in drought.
My lord, is this really an holiday?
What is it with holiday thrilling?
Shall this serf ever go on a break?
Mayhap, retirement is my finish line.
‘Hugk hugk’-this cough I’ve got is nasty.
But, no leave until the break of my spine.
Oh! I labour aiming to earn a living.
Verily, verily, reverse is the case.


Foot note: I dedicate this to all who labours on a low paying job; who endures continuing delay of salary.

 \

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is the English Language a Curse or Blessing to Nigeria? by Olaniyi Abdulwaheed

A CRITICAL REVIEW OF A PLAY TITLED “ARMattan of VENOM” BY OLANIYI ABDULWAHEED

The origin of African Drama and Theatre with Salient Elements from Selected Plays by Olaniyi Abdulwaheed