"Obliged to Killing My Self" - By Ojuade Lukman



I can hear; it says: "Let self die".
Can you too hear the recurring echoes?

At two plus half-six, I worry-less without my panties.
Whence, I freely grew from nourishing meek.
Now at two less half-sixty,
Presently caught in a regress, thanks to arrogance.

Mystified by the new gray hair by my right eyebrow.
Swiftly, I forbade it a short notice for the ending of my organs.
Likely, my organ system just posted a status update.
Perhaps, I still have two times half-sixty.

Come away humility, your height is progress, not numbers.
Behold the days of self-elevation are numbered.
I have been building me a castle of self-abasement.
To be furnished with your politeness and character.

But a turn away from Big Ego is like self-slaughter.
This high self-worth is in truth a high altitude.
But if it is an escape from this regressive pride,
I had better take a free fall from this high self-exaltation.

The death of my Self is imminent,
For I must obey the recurring echoes persistently reverberating;
"Let self die".


 © Ojuade Lukman 2016


       +2348060023164

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A REVIEW OF DENJA ABDULLAH’S PLAY DEATH AND THE KING’S GREY HAIR - By Olaniyi Abdulwaheed

The origin of African Drama and Theatre with Salient Elements from Selected Plays by Olaniyi Abdulwaheed

Is the English Language a Curse or Blessing to Nigeria? by Olaniyi Abdulwaheed